Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in a Pilsbury Hamburger booklet. I think it would be great subbing in some beans for the hamburger so it would be meatless.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large green bell pepper, quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2 ' thick slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Spray 2 large cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, separate onions into rings, add eggplant, bell pepper and oil. Toss to coat. Place in a single layer on sprayed cookie sheets. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until veggies are tender and browned, turning occasionally. Cool 5 minutes then coarsely chop the vegetables.
- Mean while in a dutch oven or large saucepan cook ground beef and garlic over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently, drain.
- Add chopped roasted vegetables, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and cinnamon, mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.