Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
These are flavorful and healthy calzones. This is a guide but consider other vegies to combine. I make my own dough but you can buy the freezer kind for a quicker meal. You may top them with the sauce of your choice or leave as is for a delightful lunch or dinner!
- 3 cups eggplants, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lb frozen white bread dough, thawed
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine 1st 8 ingredients on a 15 X 10 X 1" jellyroll pan; stir well, and spread evenly.
- Bake at 425F for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spoon vegetables into a bowl, stir in cheese and basil.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions.
- Working with 1 portion at a time (cover the rest of the dough so it doesn't get dry), roll each portion into 7" circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon 1/2 cup vegetable mixture onto half of each circle; moisten edges of the dough with warm water- if you have those handy calzone molds this it the time to pull them out and fold them over-- otherwise continue with these directions on how to do it without!
- Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal.
- Place calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray Combine egg white and water; brush over calzones.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
These Calzones were great! We added pesto to the dough when we cooked them and they turned out really well! Yum!
These are a wonderful variation of the traditional recipe. We all love them in this family. I make my own dough in the bread machine and follow the recipe for the filling. This is versatile recipe that lends itself though to many additions. I make smaller ones and put a couple in the freezer for a mid week meal