1/1 Photo of Roasted Veg With Caribbean Dressing
2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 55 mins
magpie diner's Note:
It's roasted veg livened up with some Caribbean flavours. You choose which veg you prefer, and whether or not you like to preboil. Suggestions for veg include regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, eggplant, turnips, onions and all sorts of squash. If you prefer to, you can parboil the harder longer cooking veggies (such as carrots) briefly before roasting them all together. It cuts down on the baking time. Instructions are outlined for both methods. Enjoy! Update: After NorthwestGal's review I realized I omitted the baking temperature, which is included now. Note that if you're using hard veg like carrots, they take quite some time unless you preboil (about 1 hr 15 total).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups assorted fresh vegetables, suitable for roasting
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola or grapeseed)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and coarsley chopped (or leave the seeds in if you like it spicier)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Peel the veg that need peeling. Cut up your veg into chunks, slightly larger than bite sized. Keep the harder veg to one side.
- 3Make the dressing by whisking the ingredients together in a bowl - or better yet, process until smooth in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- 4Parboiled route: Cook the harder veg briefly in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain well. Combine all of the veg together, along with the dressing -- tossing well to coat. Place the veg in a single layer on a large, lightly oiled, baking sheet. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until all of the veg are tender - about 45 minutes.
- 5Not parboiling: Bake the veg in sequence. Start by preparing a large baking tray with a light coating of oil. Place the potatoes (white potatoes) and carrots (or other hard veg) on the tray and bake for 15 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, if using, and cook for another 15 minutes. (You're now at 30 min mark). Remove from the oven and transfer to a large bowl - adding in the rest of your veg and tossing with the dressing. Spread back onto the baking tray in a single layer and return to the oven - baking until all veg are tender, about 45 minutes. (You're now at 1hr 15). Stir occassionally to prevent sticking and watch closely for burning.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Veg With Caribbean Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 606.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
assorted fresh vegetables