Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
One of my husband's favorite meals!
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) veal shanks
- coarse kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Sprinkle veal with coarse salt and black pepper. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add veal; cook until dark brown, turning occasionally, 30 minutes. Transfer pot to oven and roast uncovered for additional 30 minutes (veal will be dark brown). Remove from oven but leave oven on at 475 degrees.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute carrots, onion, and celery until softened, about 10-12 minutes. Add chopped rosemary, sage, and garlic; saute 2 minutes.
- Transfer veal to platter; pour off oil from pot. Add 3 cups of broth and sauteed vegetables to pot and bring to boil. Return veal to pot and roast uncovered, turning every 30 minutes, and adding additional broth by the cup to keep veal moistened as broth evaporates, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Transfer veal to large plate. Set strainer over medium bowl. Pour juices and vegetables from pot into strainer; pressing on solids to extract liquid.
- Transfer vegetables to food processor; puree until almost smooth. Skim fat from juices in bowl; discard fat. Whisk 1 cup vegetable puree into juices in bowl (discard rest of puree).
- Season with coarse salt and black pepper. Return puree mixture and veal to same pot. Return to oven and roast 10 minutes, turning veal over halfway through.
- Cut meat off bones into 1" thick pieces. Transfer to bowl or large platter. Pour sauce over veal and garnish with parsley and rosemary sprigs.