Recipe by AniSarit
This is a traditional sweet vegetable and dried fruit stew made with some distinctive spices. I started roasting mine, after an idea I got from Martha Stewart. I make it for Rosh Hashana as well as Passover.
- 9 -10 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup dates
- 1⁄2 cup dried pitted prunes
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350deg F.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, and add sweet potatoes and carrots until just beginning to get tender (but not yet tender), about 10-15 minutes. Drain well.
- Add to a large mixing bowl with all remaining ingredients, and mix well with a wooden spoon. The carrots and potatoes should still be a little hard, and mixing shouldn't cause them to fall apart or mush.
- Cover with foil, and bake approximately 30min, basting with pan juices midway.
- Uncover foil and broil for 5 minutes
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
- Leftovers are great the next day, warmed in the oven (DH eats it cold!).