Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 8 mins
I've been saving this since 1997 from McCall's magazine. There are 9 Passover recipes in it. The menu they gave is Gefilte Fish (no recipe), Chicken Soup With Matzo Balls, Mixed Green Salad (no recipe), Stuffed Tarragon Roast Capon With Rich Pan Gravy, Matzo Walnut and Mushroom Stuffing, Roasted Tzimmes, Asparagus With Lemon and Mint, Chocolate-Almond Torte With Strawberry Sauce, and Assorted Macaroons. One of these days I may get this made but for safe keeping I'm saving it here.
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled cut into 1-in . chunks
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, scrubbed cut into 1-in . chunks
- 1 lb small red potato, scrubbed and halved
- 1 (1 lb) baby carrots, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup prune, pitted
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In roasting pan, toss sweet potatoes, Yukon and new potatoes, carrots, olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour, until browned and tender, tossing twice.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, combine juices, honey, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, prunes and apricots; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered.
- Add roasted vegetables to mixture in Dutch oven; gently toss. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 2 to 3 minutes, just until excess liquid is cooked off. Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with chives.
Good stuff, everyone liked it. Thanks for posting.
Great tasting tzimmes that is perfect for Jewish holidays. The spices, honey and orange juice give it an extra special flavor. Sorry, Mom, but I will no longer be using your recipe. Nougle