Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious soup that I wanted to share with you.. I found this recipe on line at CHTV in Canada. It is originally called Butternut Squash Soup.
- Peel the squash, parsnips, sweet potato, celery root, carrot, onion and red pepper cut into one inch pieces.
- Place vegetable and whole garlic cloves in a roasting pan, toss in olive oil to coat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast vegetables in oven for 30 to 40 minute until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add to large pot along with 3 L of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low heat for one hour.
- Puree soup in blender or with hand-held blender until smooth. Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer 15 minutes and then strain through sieve. For richer soup add 1 cup of whipping cream.
- Return soup to boil before serving.
This was fantastic! And so easy - basically you spend most of the time off doing something else while veggies roast and simmer. The roasting makes the vegetables so richly flavorful that I almost didn't want to add the spices. I left out the cumin, but the other spices were really nice. My soup was pretty watery at the end so I took out about half the stock before blending, and didn't add the milk. It might be good topped with yogurt though. Thanks for sharing - I love soups, and this is a new favorite!
Amazing! I love roasted veggie soups and this one is fabulous. I left out the cinnamon, but only because I'm not a fan of cinnamon. Love the mix of root veggies - it adds depth to the mixture of flavors.