Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
From BHG "Make Ahead Cooking" This recipe is perfect for all those Turkey Dinner leftovers! You can also make these into smaller calzones to serve as appetizers.
- 12 ounces oven-roasted turkey breast, chopped or 12 ounces leftover cooked turkey
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups of shredded 4-cheese pizza cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups your favorite kind cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 pizza dough (I use Pizza Dough or use 2 pkgs store bought dough)
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese (optional) or 4 teaspoons romano cheese (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine turkey, spinach, the shredded cheese, and 1/2 cup of the pizza sauce. On a lightly floured surface, roll one package of pizza dough out to a 12x12-inch square. Cut into 4 6x6 inch squares.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture onto half of each square to within about 1 inch of edge. Moisten edges of dough with water and fold over, forming a rectangle or a triangle. Pinch or press with a fork to seal edges. Prick tops of calzones with a fork; brush with milk and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough and turkey mixture. If desired, sprinkle top of each calzone with about 1/2 teaspoon grated Parmesan or Romano cheese. Bake calzones in a 375 degree F. oven about 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining pizza sauce. Makes 4 calzones.
- To Make-Ahead: Prepare and bake calzones as above. Cool, wrap, label, and chill overnight or freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw frozen calzones in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap and place on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until heated through.
This is excellent! DH usually doesn't like spinach mixed into food like this but he acually liked this! I did not use the milk or grated parm. I got 2 BIG calzones out of this with a little bit of the filling left over...maybe to put in a wrap for lunch tomorrow? Thank you for posting this!
These were fabulous! Really handy to make and freeze for another time!
loved by all