Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
These tomatoes are wonderful in a variety of different ways. They can be used by themselves as a side dish, as a topping for brushetta, tossed with pasta or as an addition to a stew. The roasting really brings out the flavor of the tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 12 large ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 large basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed dry red pepper
- Preheat oven to 250^F.
- Heat 2 T oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute' until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer in a large roasting pan.
- Add onions, 1/2 c oil, garlic, basil, salt, sugar and red pepper, tossing to coat.
- Roast until tomatoes are tender but not falling apart, stirring now and then, about 2 hours.
The combination of the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and basil is out of this world. We love the flavours! I made a few changes out of necessity. My plum tomatoes from the garden were small so I more than doubled them, but I kept the onions and garlic as given. I reduced the amount of oil to 1/3 cup but still found it to be an awful lot of oil. I would go with 1/4 cup next time or even less. Still a wonderful recipe, so thank you!
EASY. I added more dried Italian spice at half time since I like a strong herb flavor. Is great on pizza, in sandwiches, or any place where roasted peppers are called for. Great with fresh mozarella and fresh basil for salad or sandwich.
The aroma of this cooking was delicious. Used it for a pasta sauce with some sliced black olives,Yumm!