Recipe by Normaone
These tomatoes are wonderful in a variety of different ways. They can be used by themselves as a side dish, as a topping for brushetta, tossed with pasta or as an addition to a stew. The roasting really brings out the flavor of the tomatoes.
Top Review by Cookin-jo
The combination of the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and basil is out of this world. We love the flavours! I made a few changes out of necessity. My plum tomatoes from the garden were small so I more than doubled them, but I kept the onions and garlic as given. I reduced the amount of oil to 1/3 cup but still found it to be an awful lot of oil. I would go with 1/4 cup next time or even less. Still a wonderful recipe, so thank you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 12 large ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 large basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed dry red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250^F.
- Heat 2 T oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute' until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer in a large roasting pan.
- Add onions, 1/2 c oil, garlic, basil, salt, sugar and red pepper, tossing to coat.
- Roast until tomatoes are tender but not falling apart, stirring now and then, about 2 hours.