Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe in Everyday Food and loved it! I'd never used vegetable broth before but thought that it was very good (I used Pacific Foods). This recipe is perfect with whole wheat bread. Very fallish.
- 6 beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only
- 2 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes in half and remove core (you can leave the seeds).
- Rinse the leeks and cut into 1/2" slices.
- Peel the carrots and cut into 1/4" slices.
- Toss the tomatoes, leeks, carrots, and garlic with the olive oil to fully coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables in a roasting pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Peel skins off of the tomatoes.
- In a saucepan, bring the vegetables, broth, and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Puree in blender in batches.
- Pour back into saucepan.
- Add chopped basil and adjust seasonings if necessary.
I made this some time ago, and have been meaning to post a review. Apologies for the delay! It's positively wonderful, and so easy to make - a definite keeper! Thanks for posting.
This soup was delicious! I added some gluten free noodles to it and it was very yummy. Thanks for the delicious gluten free recipe!