Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Using plum tomatoes for this recipe will yield an intensely flavored soup — good for the chilly fall months. Use vegetable broth in place of chicken stock for a vegatarian dish.
- 4 lbs tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves, left unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- parmesan cheese, wafers
- fresh oregano sprig
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 350°F.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan and add garlic to pan. Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes and garlic 1 hour, then cool in pan on a rack. Peel garlic.
- Cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids), then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding solids. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.
- Divide soup among 8 bowls and float 1 wafer in center of each.
Believe this is from Gourmet - very tasty - house smells great!