Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
True comfort food! This soup is delicious and fairly simple to make! You will have multiple recipe requests after serving it!
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 6 slices honey-wheat bread
- 3 slices mild cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread tomatoes on baking sheet and coat with two tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until shriveled, approximately 35-45 minutes.
- In large pot, heat butter and one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; saute until tender. Add canned tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, thyme, and roasted tomatoes including any liquid on baking sheet. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup mixture in food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pot and add cream. Without letting it boil, warm soup over medium heat until steaming.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. In small bowl, combine butter and thyme and spread on one side of each bread slice. Place three pieces of bread buttered side down in skillet; top with cheese and with remaining three pieces of bread buttered side up. Heat, flipping once until toasted. Remove and let cool slightly; cut into one-inch squares.
- To soup, add additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with grilled cheese croutons and serve!