Chef Wanna Be's Note:
A friend made this and it is outstanding! Use more garlic and less rosemary
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken stock (or, to make recipe vegetarian, use vegetable stock or low-sodium vegetable broth) or 6 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (or, to make recipe vegetarian, use vegetable stock or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 16 slices French bread (1/4-inch-thick slices)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Place tomatoes, cut side up, on large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle tomatoes with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Roast until tomatoes are brown and tender, about 1 hour. Cool slightly.
- 2Transfer tomatoes and any accumulated juices to processor. Using on/off turns, process until slightly chunky.
- 3Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, rosemary, thyme and dried crushed red pepper. Add chicken or vegetable stock/broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until soup thickens slightly, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm soup over medium-high heat before continuing.) Stir in basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Brush both sides of baguette slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer to large baking sheet. Broil croutons until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with soup.
- 5Makes 4 servings.
- 6Bon Appétit.
- 7February 1998.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup With Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (995 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1143.3
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 2092.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 161.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 35.1 g