The best tomato soup I have ever made, and the best recipe I have found to date. Recipe comes from an organic farms website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Soup
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (use onion for pasta sauce) or 1/2 cup yellow onion (use onion for pasta sauce)
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (to taste) or 3 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the fresh herb oil
For the Croutons
- 1The soup: Preheat oven to 425°F Spread oil over the bottom of a shallow.
- 2baking dish and pour in tomatoes and juices. Mix in shallots and salt and pepper and drizzle the top with olive oil.
- 3Cook for 35 – 45 minutes or until juices have thickened and slight charring has occurred. Let cool slightly, then blend in a food processor or pass through a food mill using the finest disk. Roasting seems to soften the seeds to where they are barely noticeable, so, unless you want a very smooth texture, using the processor is certainly acceptable. Correct seasoning and, if the flavor is too sharp or acidic, whisk in additional olive oil until flavors balance.
- 4Fresh herb oil: Place all ingredients into a blender and blend on high for 20 – 30 seconds. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days (oil will separate with storage but comes together easily when whisked).
- 5For the Croutons: Heat oil and garlic cloves over medium heat in a medium sauté pan.
- 6When oil shimmers, add bread, tossing to coat with oil. Sprinkle on remaining ingredients and cook, tossing frequently, until golden. Discard garlic.
- 7To Serve: Reheat soup and blend with a whisk. Drizzle with herb oil and serve with croutons on the side.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup With Fresh Herb Oil and Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.5
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 1555.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 3.6 g