Recipe by pamela t.
From Taste of Home and so wonderful in the summer when tomato and basil are fresh from the garden.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
I had a ton of tomatoes and basil from the garden, and this was a wonderful way to use them up! I made this exactly as posted, although I did end up adding a bit more salt. I was surprised, though, that I only ended up with 4 cups or so. This is the perfect low-cal, low-carb, low-salt treat. Thanks for sharing. Made for Tazzy's Week 2 Football Pool win!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve each tomato, cut out stem, peel garlic, peel onion and cut it in quarters.
- Place tomatoes, garlic and onion in a greased 15"x10" x 1 "inch baking pan; drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle thyme on top, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes or until tender; stirring once. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process the tomato mixture and basil leaves in batches until blended. Transfer to a large saucepan and heat through. Garnish each bowl with salad croutons or extra basil leaves.