Recipe by CountryLady
Float a Parmesan wafer on top & serve this as the prelude to an elegant dinner party - OR pair with crusty bread to mop up the bowls at a family meal! From Gourmet magazine.
- 4 lbs tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 cloves garlic, left unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 350°F.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan and add garlic to pan.
- Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes and garlic 1 hour, then cool in pan on a rack.
- Peel garlic.
- Cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (be careful with this hot liquid), then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding the solids. If you blend it VERY well, its really not necessary to strain (I don't!).
- Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.
- **Soup can be made 1 day ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered.
- Reheat just before serving.