Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 28 ounces can whole canned tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- drizzle olive oil, about 2 teaspoons worth
- 1 1⁄2 cups reserved tomato juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- crouton, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, saving the juices for preparing the soup (you should about 1 1/2 cups reserved). Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and brown sugar. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the preheated oven for one hour.
- Remove tray from oven and let cool 10 minutes.Transfer cooled tomatoes to a blender. Add the vegetable stock, reserved tomato juice and blend until smooth. Pour soup into a 2-quart pot and heat until warmed, but not boiling. Stir in the cream and cook for one more minute. Serve garnished with croutons.