Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 hrs
This is from Tyler's ultimate recipe collection. It is to die for really! My DH hates tomatoes and shelf tomato soup but as he puts it is the bomb! Make sure you use a good variety of tomatoes not just one kind, it really makes the difference and if you like garlic add more cloves I do. But this is the base recipe. If you don't have fresh herbs you can use dry. If you do not like any pieces of tomato skin either remove the skin on the large tomatoes or strain it after finished cooking. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes (mix of heirlooms, cherry, vine, and plum(if you can find them)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 -10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash tomatoes and cut into similar size quarters. Slice onion and peel garlic cloves. Spread all in a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil well.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil and thyme if using dry if using fresh do next step.
- Lay thyme sprigs over the top and if using fresh basil save for later.
- Roast 30 to 40 minutes or until caramelized.
- Remove from oven and pour directly into pot.
- Add 3/4 chicken stock, bay leaves and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Remove Bay leaves. Add fresh basil if using now.
- Use an immersion blender and puree soup until smooth or if you don't have one use your food processor.
- Return to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.