Recipe by heather in Ont,
The great flavor in this soup comes from roasting the tomatoes and garlic. Roasting adds sweetness and there is no need to use broth - just water.I found this recipe in Cuisine at Home soups magazine.
- 5 lbs tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss tomatoes, garlic, 1/4 cup oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and roast about 40 minutes, or until very soft.
- Sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper flakes, and roasted tomato mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Finish the soup with cream and garnish each serving with a basil sprig.