Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Created by Chef Art Smith from the show "Art Smith Teaches Men To Cook". Chef Art Smith, Oprah Winfrey's chef and the show was on Oprah. This hearty dish has been a hit with everyone and is very versatile; can be a soup, a sauce, or even a zesty dip, served this with my Manchego Crackers.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs large ripe tomatoes, cut in half crosswise
- 6 medium green bell peppers, cut in 1/2 crosswise, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 medium vidalia onions, cut in half crosswise and peeled
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (no leaves)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning, to taste (Used Mrs Dash)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 4 teaspoons chives or 4 teaspoons oregano, mixed
- 1 quart homemade chicken broth or 1 quart commercial low-sodium chicken broth
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a bowl, toss together tomatoes, peppers, onions, celery, and garlic. Add pepper and salt-free seasoning to taste(add salt when indicated, as it brings out the moisture).
- Place on a baking sheet. Roast until they start carmelizing and become soft, about 25 minutes.
- Cool, then discard the peels and seed.
- Place the mxiture in a food processor or blender with some of the chicken broth and pulse the pureé to desired thickness.
- In a soup pot, combine the pureé with the remaining chicken broth or stock, sun-dried tomato paste, tomato paste, and cayenne pepper.
- Add half of the fresh herbs(if using dried, add them all at this stage( and cook, stirring often, until just simmering.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkling each serving with the rest of the fresh herbs,.
- Garnish with fresh or thawed corn niblets, some fresh basil, cornbread crumble, or/& thinly sliced artichokes.