Recently had an extra pint of cherry tomatoes on hand and was in search of comfort food. Devised this soup in a pinch and thought it was worth sharing. Mine was a quick soup for one but the recipe has been scaled up and uses the more economical Roma tomato. If you have lots of cherry or grape tomatoes -- they have a sweetness that pairs beautifully with the vinegar -- use them or do a mix with the roma tomatoes. If you are making this Kosher, skip the cheese or be sure to use vegetable broth.
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 1⁄4 medium red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs oregano, remove leaves from stem
- 3 -4 basil leaves
- 2 cups fat-free vegetable broth or 2 cups fat-free chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved or grated (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and cut tomatoes, placing in a shallow baking dish cut side down.
- Add onion pieces, garlic, oregano and basil to the pan.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Place roasted vegetables in food processor bowl or blender and begin puree. Slowly add broth or water until soup has desired consistency. Continue blending until smooth.
- An immersion blender also works very well. (If you warm the broth first, the soup will be hot without reheating.).
- Serve garnished with cheese if desired.