1/11 Photos of Roasted Tomato Soup
Recently had an extra pint of cherry tomatoes on hand and was in search of comfort food. Devised this soup in a pinch and thought it was worth sharing. Mine was a quick soup for one but the recipe has been scaled up and uses the more economical Roma tomato. If you have lots of cherry or grape tomatoes -- they have a sweetness that pairs beautifully with the vinegar -- use them or do a mix with the roma tomatoes. If you are making this Kosher, skip the cheese or be sure to use vegetable broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs oregano, remove leaves from stem
- 3 -4 basil leaves
- 2 cups fat-free vegetable broth or 2 cups fat-free chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved or grated (optional)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Wash and cut tomatoes, placing in a shallow baking dish cut side down.
- 3Add onion pieces, garlic, oregano and basil to the pan.
- 4Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- 5Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Bake for 45 minutes.
- 7Place roasted vegetables in food processor bowl or blender and begin puree. Slowly add broth or water until soup has desired consistency. Continue blending until smooth.
- 8An immersion blender also works very well. (If you warm the broth first, the soup will be hot without reheating.).
- 9Serve garnished with cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.0
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free vegetable broth