Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is inspired by Janet and Greta's roasted tomatoe sauce they used on their canneloni show but I didn't have some of the ingredients they used so I improvised it. One pound of my tomatoes were heirloom tomatoes in various colors just cause I happened to have them on hand. The chicken broth was made from roasted chicken bones to give it a deeper flavor as well.
- 1360.77 g tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 1 large red pepper
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 0.25 ml salt and pepper
- 473.18 ml chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make it vegetarian.)
- 396.89 g tomato sauce
- 113.39 g tomato paste
- 22.18 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml chili flakes
- Quarter tomatoes and large dice the onions and red pepper. Peel the garlic cloves and halve them.
- Place vegetables on a baking sheet and toss with vinegar and olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 450 degree oven for one hour. Let cool on the pan for 15 minutes.
- Place vegetables and remaining ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender in the pot or puree carefully in a blender.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta.