Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Can't beat salsa made from freshly harvested vine ripened tomatoes. Roasting results in a rich full falavoured sweet sauce. The chillies are mild and go well with the richness of the roasted tomatoes. evolved from Mexican, healthy ways with a favourite cuisine. (chill time 1 hour)
- 566.99 g fresh vine ripened tomatoes
- 8 small shallots
- 5 clove garlic
- sea salt
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 costeno amarillo chilies
- 1 small lemon, grated rind and juice of
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1.23 ml soft dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325f degrees.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and place them on a baking tray.
- Peel the shallots and garlic and add them to the roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for 1 1/4 hours or until the tomatoes are beginning to dry.
- Do not let them burn or blacken or they will have a bitter taste.
- Leave the tomatoes to cool, then peel off the skins and chop the flesh finely.
- Place in a bowl.
- Remove the outer layer of skin from any shallots that have toughened.
- Using a large, sharp knife, chop the shallots and garlic roughly, place them with the tomatoes in a bowl and mix.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the woody stem and chop them finely.
- Add half to the tomato and shallot mixture and mix lightly.
- Soak the chillies in hot water for about 10 minutes until soft; drain.
- Remove the stalks, slit them and scrape out the seeds with a sharp knife.
- Chop the flesh finely and add it to the tomato mixture.
- Stir in the lemon rind and juice, the olive oil and the sugar.
- Mix well, taste and add more salt if needed.
- Cover and chill for a least an hour before serving, sprinkled with the remaining rosemary.
- It will keep up to a week in the fridge.
- Note: Use plum tomatoes or vine ripened tomatoes, which have more flavour that tomatoes that have been grown for their keeping properties rather than their flavour.
- Cherry tomatoes make delicious roast tomato salsa and there is no need to peel them after roasting.
Don't let the number of steps fool you - its not complicated! I used Juliette tomatoes from our garden which are in between a cherry & a roma - the skin peeled off very easily after roasting. Aside from using jalapeno peppers (also from our garden), I followed the directions. I served the salsa with Tostitos Scoops ...... prefer room temperature over chilled. Thanx Derf!