1/1 Photo of Roasted Tomato Salsa
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Can't beat salsa made from freshly harvested vine ripened tomatoes. Roasting results in a rich full falavoured sweet sauce. The chillies are mild and go well with the richness of the roasted tomatoes. evolved from Mexican, healthy ways with a favourite cuisine. (chill time 1 hour)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325f degrees.
- 2Cut the tomatoes into quarters and place them on a baking tray.
- 3Peel the shallots and garlic and add them to the roasting pan.
- 4Sprinkle with sea salt.
- 5Roast in the oven for 1 1/4 hours or until the tomatoes are beginning to dry.
- 6Do not let them burn or blacken or they will have a bitter taste.
- 7Leave the tomatoes to cool, then peel off the skins and chop the flesh finely.
- 8Place in a bowl.
- 9Remove the outer layer of skin from any shallots that have toughened.
- 10Using a large, sharp knife, chop the shallots and garlic roughly, place them with the tomatoes in a bowl and mix.
- 11Strip the rosemary leaves from the woody stem and chop them finely.
- 12Add half to the tomato and shallot mixture and mix lightly.
- 13Soak the chillies in hot water for about 10 minutes until soft; drain.
- 14Remove the stalks, slit them and scrape out the seeds with a sharp knife.
- 15Chop the flesh finely and add it to the tomato mixture.
- 16Stir in the lemon rind and juice, the olive oil and the sugar.
- 17Mix well, taste and add more salt if needed.
- 18Cover and chill for a least an hour before serving, sprinkled with the remaining rosemary.
- 19It will keep up to a week in the fridge.
- 20Note: Use plum tomatoes or vine ripened tomatoes, which have more flavour that tomatoes that have been grown for their keeping properties rather than their flavour.
- 21Cherry tomatoes make delicious roast tomato salsa and there is no need to peel them after roasting.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 77.5
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: