Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 large ripe but still firm tomatoes
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, more to taste
- salt and pepper
- Put vegetables on a sheet pan in a 500-degree oven, or on a charcoal or gas grill over medium heat.
- Cook until nicely charred and blistered.
- (They will char more on the grill. They will take about 30 minutes in the oven, less on the grill.) Core, but dont peel the tomatoes.
- Peel, stem and seed the peppers.
- Remove the skin from the onion and peel the garlic.
- Put the onion and garlic in a food processor, or puree, but not too smooth.
- Add tomatoes and peppers and pulse until you achieve the texture you desire.
- Pour into a bowl, add cilantro and salt and pepper.
- Let sit an hour for flavors to meld and temperature to cool.
Great salsa! Leave it overnight in the fridge for a flavorful condiment the rest of the week. Thanks for submitting the recipe!
This is a fantastic salsa recipe! I can it so we can have it all year round. My family and friends rave over it constantly!!