Cook1 hr 27 mins
The problem of too much liquid in your tomato pie is solved! Roasting the tomatoes not only cuts out the liquid it also concentrates the tomato flavor. I made this to bring to a picnic in a beautiful redwood filled park. I made it the night before, heated it in the microwave to warm it, and then put it with a few other hot items in an insulated picnic bag. Uncle Shane and Sue stopped for ice for the drinks and threw an extra bag in the cooler with the hot food. We gave them a good teasing and enjoyed the pie anyway! This recipe is from Bride and Groom: First and Forever.
- 907.18 g ripe summer tomatoes or 907.18 g plum tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 9 inch frozen pie crusts (not deep dish) or 9 inch flaky pie crusts
- 295.73 ml grated parrano cheese or 295.73 ml sharp white cheddar cheese
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus more for garnishing
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese, preferably parmigiano-reggiano
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush with olive oil.
- Place teh tomatoes on the baking sheet, brush with the olive oil, and season with the kosher salt and pepper to taste. Roast until the tomatoes are slightly dehydreated but not completely dry, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Plum tomatoes take about 1 hour. Peak of season summer tomatoes take about 1 1/2 hours).
- If using a homemade piecrust, bake it blind as directed. If using a frozen pie shell, prebake it according to the package directions. While the crus is still warm, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the Parrano cheese.
- Adjust the oven to 400 degrees F. Layer half of the tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle with half of the basil. Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining basil.
- Combine the oregano, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture on top of the tomatoes. Top with the remaining 3/4 cup parrano cheese. Place the pie on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the cheese is lightly browned, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Garnish with sliced basil before serving.