Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy weeknight casserole that you can have ready in 35 minutes. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups small shell pasta
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Drain the tomatoes in a sieve, reserving the juice.
- Set the juice aside.
- In a 13" x 9" glass baking dish, combine the drained tomatoes, onion, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk the milk with the flour.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, just until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Stir the reserved tomato juice, the milk mixture and the pasta into the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes longer or until the pasta is tender but firm and the sauce is thickened.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and broil for 2 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
I've made baked pasta before but never where I've roasted the tomatoes first. It really enhances the flavor. This is a super easy way to get some creamy comfort food on the table fast. I made it exactly as the recipe states and it was tasty but a little tame for us. I'll be adding more spice, some garlic, and maybe some red pepper flakes to spice it up a little. Thanks for posting.
Wow!! Really quick and so effortless. This really a superb recipe, started cooking at 5.45 by 6.30 I was eating, so it great for a weeknight! The sauce was so thick and pack with flavours it was fantastic. This is a deferent keeper!!
This recipe was as easy to make as it looks! Very tasty & will be passing this one onto friends!