Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Super simple, super delicious, side dish. Written to serve one but can be easily multiplied.
- 1 large tomatoes, ripe
- 1 -2 tablespoon pesto sauce (I use ready made from the supermarket)
- mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut very thin slice from bottom of tomato so it will sit upright. Cut off approximately the top fifth of the tomato. Using a spoon scoop out pulp, juice and seeds creating a container.
- Spread pesto inside tomato cavity.
- Fill tomato with mozzarella, approximately 1/3 cup.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake in shallow dish sprayed with Pam for 25-35 minutes.
Tomatoes, pesto and cheese - always a winning combination in my book! Thanks for posting! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders 2009.
As we have limited veggies here, I pounced on this idea with glee. I don't know why I've never thought of it before. The pesto was nice, I went easy on it, but I chose to pop some of the pulp back in to reduce the amount of cheese. The breadcrumbs literally did top it off beautifully. Didn't bother with the salt, and turbogrilled it for extra colour on the cheese. YUM! Made for Aussie Tag No.7
Used cheddar since that's what I had and sprinkled the salt on the top (not sure when to add the salt). If you like pesto, you will like this.