Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
This recipe combines all our favourite flavours - roasted tomatoes and onions baked in a crisp homemade base. It is delicious. The vegetables can be roasted one day ahead and stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
- 8 roma tomatoes
- 2 Spanish onions
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 125 g butter, chopped and chilled
- 1⁄3 cup chilled water
- 90 g extra butter
- 1 lemon rind, shredded
- 1 tablespoon anchovy fillet
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Cut each tomato into 4 wedges. Cut onions into wedges.
- Place tomatoes and onions onto baking tray lined with baking paper in a single layer.
- Splash with oil and vinegar and season.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Sift flour into large bowl. Rub in butter using fingertips until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre, pour water into the flour and using hands stir water into flour to form a firm dough.
- Place dough onto lightly floured surface and knead.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and put in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Place extra butter in a small bowl add lemon rind and anchovy fillet and beat to combine.
- Line oven tray with baking paper.
- Roll pastry out into large circle. Place on prepared tray.
- Fill centre with cooled vegetable mixture. Bring edges of pastry up to form sides and almost cover mixture. Bake 30 minutes.
- Serve with lemon/anchovy butter on top - melting through.