A recipe from Bon Appetit Magazine August 1997 issue. (If you prefer, for an easy guacamole recipe see my Guacamole Muy Facil.) I use the best artisan bread I can find for this sandwich recipe. Makes a great picnic item! When the mood strikes me I might substitute lemon cucumbers for regular cucumbers, if they are available at the farmers' market. Another option is to roast the onions with the tomatoes if so desired!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium avocado, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced finely
- 1 teaspoon fresh jalapeno chile, minced
- 8 slices good quality whole wheat bread or 8 slices artisan bread of your choice such as sourdough bread or 8 slices black olive bread
- 16 slices thinly sliced tomatoes, roasted
- 16 slices thinly sliced cucumbers
- 8 slices red onions (or 8 slices other specialty onions)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro stem
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Roasted Tomatoes: (optional).
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Sliced the tomatoes thinly and drizzle with a bit of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and bake until roasted, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 4Using a fork, mash the avocado, lime juice, garlic and jalapeno in small bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover until ready to use so that the guacamole does not turn brown.
- 5Divide the guacamole among the bread slices, spreading evenly but thinly. Place 4 tomato slices atop guacamole on each of the 4 bread slices.
- 6Next top with 4 cucumber slices, then 2 onion slices, then the cilantro sprigs. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, guacamole side down, pressing down lightly. Cut sandwiches in half.
- 7If not eating sandwiches immediately, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato, Cucumber and Guacamole Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (1035 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.6
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 305.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 7.7 g