Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have this similar recipe adapted from Uncle Julio's reastaurant in Allen, TX (North Dallas area), and hope you like it.
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Cut tomatoes and onion into quarters, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with vegetable oil. Then sprinkle with the chili & cayenne powder. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes.
- About halfway through, flip the vegetables over. Check in occasionally to make sure the vegetables are not drying out. There will be extra oil on the sheet, so you can use tongs or a spatula to move them around & redistribute the oil. They are done when soft and the skin is blistery and slightly brown.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chipotles. Place all the prepared vegetables and the chipotles in a blender along with the garlic cloves, cilantro and squeeze lime juice into the blender and blend well.
- NOTE: For chunkier salsa, just pulse the blender button only for a few seconds. For smoother textured salsa, process to your desired consistency. Salt to taste.
- You can also add another chipotle pepper and adobo sauce to make it more spicy and enhance the smoky flavor to your own taste. Allow the salsa to chill for a couple of hours. Serve with white or blue corn tortilla chips. Mmmmm -- good.