Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Awesomely flavored salsa! The chipotle's are only mildly hot but have an intense flavor.
- 6 tomatoes (medium, ripe, seeded and halved)
- 1 small onion (chopped, rinsed, and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Broil or grill the tomatoes until the skins blacken in spots, about 5 minutes on the grill, less under the broiler.
- Once cooled slightly, remove skins and chop tomato flesh and put into a medium sized bowl.
- Stir in all of the remining ingredients.
- Can be served right away or chilled.
I made this just like the recipe, except I left out the onions. I would love to add them, but I'm allergic to them which is why I was looking for a salsa with other spices. Oh, this one hit the spot!
After I made it, I thought it tasted too much like lime. So I added about 2Tb of vinegar and a Tb of sugar. I also added about a Tb of the adobe sauce. Mine came out a little runny, so I refrigerated it and tasted it again 2 days later. Oh wow---this salsa gets better with age!! The lime taste is mild now and all the flavors blended together so well. Next time I am going to leave the vinegar and sugar out as I don't think they added anything to the salsa. However, I will still add some of the Adobe sauce, as I love mine with that strong chipotle taste. This will be the salsa I will make from now on. Thank you for the recipe!