This recipe has a twin! French Onion Grilled Cheese- it should be a law that both of these are served together. This is far and away the best tomato soup you will have. I love tomato soup and I've experimented with many recipes, but this one simply takes the cake. Simple ingredients make a great, complex tasting, yet still 100% comforting soup. It is wonderful!! I must say to serve it with the French Onion Grilled Cheese sandwich. Two doses of comfort food that are a perfect pair! I also want to say that I normally shy away from cooking sherry- it really makes this dish so go ahead and use it!
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, quartered
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the DRAINED tomatoes, olive oil, light brown suger, carrots and shallots. Toss to coat.
- Place vegetables on a silpat (or parchment lined cookie sheet) and roast for 30 minutes, until carmalized.
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add butter and cook until foaming.
- Add crushed red pepper and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add sherry and cook until all the liquid evaporates (1 or 2 minutes).
- Add roasted vegetables, crushed tomatoes and 1 cup chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream.
- Using in immersion blender (or standard blender, working in batches) puree the soup until uniform in texture.
- If you want to adjust the consistency, add chicken stock to desired level.
- Serve (along side the French Onion Grilled Sandwiches)!