Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
I love soup, but never really liked tomato soup out of the can. This totally changed it for me. It's from the Barefoot Contessa.
- 3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (with their juice)
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 c olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 T olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minute Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minute Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve hot or cold.