1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I love soup, but never really liked tomato soup out of the can. This totally changed it for me. It's from the Barefoot Contessa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (with their juice)
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart water
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 c olive oil, salt and pepper.
- 3Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- 4In an 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 T olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minute Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- 5Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- 6Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minute Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade.
- 7Taste for seasonings.
- 8Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.8
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 1440.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 8.7 g