Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my version of a recipe on Barefoot Contessa. I tried looking for that recipe online but was unable to find it so decided to make my own and it turned out pretty good.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs grape tomatoes, jumbo or any other kind
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaves, cleaned
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Pre heat over to 350°F.
- cut tomatoes in to halves (Smaller pieces for larger tomatoes) and place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the whole garlic cloves to the tomatoes and bake in the oven for 45 min to 1 hr until tomatoes are tender and juicy.
- Remove the tomatoes and garlic and place in a blender and add basil leaves.
- blend until smooth.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and butter to a soup pot and fry the chopped onions until translucent (a couple of minutes).
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Add flour to the onions and stir using a spatula or wooden spoon to make sure there are no lumps.
- Let cook for a minute until raw flour smell disappears.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato basil paste and milk.
- Mix well and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot.