Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I got this soup from a slow cooker cookbook, but you can also make it on the stovetop. In my opinion, it's the perfect consistency, with a few chunks of tomatoes and a slightly cream sauce. Serve with fresh bread...Mmm:-D
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable if you prefer)
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded (about 10 large leaves)
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drain and reserve juice from tomatoes (there should be about 3 cups of juice).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer on foil.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and chopped onion.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly brown and tomatoes appear dry.
- Dice tomatoes, careful of the hot juice!
- In a crock pot or large pot, combine roasted tomato mixture, reserved juice, tomato paste, chicken broth, garlic, and allspice.
- If using a pot, simmer for 4-6 hours over low heat.
- In a crock pot, cook for 8 hours on low.
- Add basil, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper,.
- Turn heat on crock pot up to high or continue to simmer in pot for additional 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Very nice soup. Made it for dinner last night. The cans of tomatoes that I used did not have enough juice so I used V-8 juice. I like this recipe cause I have so much basil growing this year it gives me another way of using basil. Made mde Football Pool 2009.
Delicious!! We loved this thick and hearty soup. I made this in my 4-qt. crockpot, cooking it on "high" for 2 hours and "low" for 4 hours. I needed to stretch the soup to serve more people, so I used 8 oz. of evaporated milk instead of 5 oz. Also, I added a little sugar to cut the tartness/ acidity of the tomatoes. My family devoured this and wanted to know when I was going to make it again. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for 2009 Football Pool*
i'm an idiot in the kitchen, and even i was able to make this...and it was delicious!!