Recipe by Stephanie Z.
I got this soup from a slow cooker cookbook, but you can also make it on the stovetop. In my opinion, it's the perfect consistency, with a few chunks of tomatoes and a slightly cream sauce. Serve with fresh bread...Mmm:-D
Top Review by Maryland Jim
Very nice soup. Made it for dinner last night. The cans of tomatoes that I used did not have enough juice so I used V-8 juice. I like this recipe cause I have so much basil growing this year it gives me another way of using basil. Made mde Football Pool 2009.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable if you prefer)
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded (about 10 large leaves)
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drain and reserve juice from tomatoes (there should be about 3 cups of juice).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer on foil.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and chopped onion.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly brown and tomatoes appear dry.
- Dice tomatoes, careful of the hot juice!
- In a crock pot or large pot, combine roasted tomato mixture, reserved juice, tomato paste, chicken broth, garlic, and allspice.
- If using a pot, simmer for 4-6 hours over low heat.
- In a crock pot, cook for 8 hours on low.
- Add basil, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper,.
- Turn heat on crock pot up to high or continue to simmer in pot for additional 30 minutes. Enjoy!