1/3 Photos of Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
9 hrs 20 mins
I got this soup from a slow cooker cookbook, but you can also make it on the stovetop. In my opinion, it's the perfect consistency, with a few chunks of tomatoes and a slightly cream sauce. Serve with fresh bread...Mmm:-D
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable if you prefer)
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded (about 10 large leaves)
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Drain and reserve juice from tomatoes (there should be about 3 cups of juice).
- 3Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- 4Place tomatoes in a single layer on foil.
- 5Sprinkle with brown sugar and chopped onion.
- 6Bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly brown and tomatoes appear dry.
- 7Dice tomatoes, careful of the hot juice!
- 8In a crock pot or large pot, combine roasted tomato mixture, reserved juice, tomato paste, chicken broth, garlic, and allspice.
- 9If using a pot, simmer for 4-6 hours over low heat.
- 10In a crock pot, cook for 8 hours on low.
- 11Add basil, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper,.
- 12Turn heat on crock pot up to high or continue to simmer in pot for additional 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.7
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 522.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 7.3 g