Recipe by Yogachef
This soup hails from Jolley's Boathouse in Adelaide, Australia. It is a light soup that highlights the wonderful flavors of roasted vegetables.
Top Review by FloridaNative
This is an AWESOME soup ! I cheated and used bottled roasted red peppers and fire roasted tomatoes, for convenience. The flavors were fabulous; I pureed half of the sauteed onion and garlic in with half of the roasted vegetables. The marjoram was just right and added a nice flavor. Topped it off with few garlic and cheese croutons ~ made for a great light dinner tonight. Made for ZWT5 ~ Australia!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red bell peppers
- 2 lbs tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- marjoram, sprigs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes.
- Place peppers and tomatoes, skin sides up on a foil lined baking sheet. Flatten peppers with hand.
- Broil 15 minutes, or until vegetables are blackened.
- Place peppers into zip-top bag, seal, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Peel peppers and tomatoes. Chop.
- Place half of the peppers and tomatoes into the blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase to medium heat. Add pureed vegetables, remaining chopped vegetables, the tomato juice, chopped marjoram, plack pepper, and salt. Cook until fully heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with marjoram springs if desired.