Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Roasting intensifies the flavor of the vegetables and adds a wonderful smoky taste. The roasting can be done a day in advance and the soup can be frozen with out the pasta.
- 1 lb ripe Italian plum tomato, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large red onion, quartered lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 -5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup tubetti
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread vegetables in a roasting pan and drizzle with oil.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetable are soft and lightly charred, strring and turning them after 15 minutes.
- Process the vegetables with 1 cup of stock until pureed.
- Pour into a sieve placed over a large saucepan and press the puree through into the pan.
- Add stock, sage, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- Ladle into serving bowls and drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar.
This is an amazing soup. I broiled my veggies on low, because high charred them right away. I also added fresh basil and parsley. Really delicious! Thanks for the recipe.
This is a wonderful soup! Love the roasted flavours coming through of the tomatoes, onion and the red pepper. I roasted the veggies for 1 hour instead of 40 mins. I had to use dried sage since I couldn't get hold of fresh and used elbow macaroni instead of tubetti. Thank you, Lorac, for sharing this wonderful recipe, definitely will be making it again! :)
Yum! This is delicious! I love anything with tomatoes & roasted tomatoes. Great recipe. Thanks so much!