Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Fleishig Soup. Outstanding.
- 1 lb ripe Italian plum tomato, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large red onion, quartered lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb beef flank steak, cubed
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup small shell pasta, shapes e.g. tubetti
- ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread out the tomatos, red pepper, onion and garlic in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft and charred, stirring and turning them after 15 minutes.
- Brown the flanken in the remain oil.
- Turn the vegetables into a food processor.
- Add 1 cup of stock or water.
- Process until pureed.
- Scape into a sieve or food mill placed over a large saucepan and press the puree through.
- Add the remaining stock or water, the flanken, the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add the pasta and simmer, stirring frequently.
One of the best soups I've ever had! Straining out the solids is important, don't skip that step. This soup gets raves every time I serve it. Thank you, zeldamet!!