Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Roasted Tomato and Mint Salsa
- 6 large roma tomatoes, tops removed
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (one Mexican Lime)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 serrano peppers, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons spearmint, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- With a comal or black iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook the tomatoes until blackened all over.
- While still warm, pulse tomatoes with the garlic in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add lime juice, olive oil, peppers, cilantro, spearmint, lime zest, orange zest, and salt.
- Mix together and let stand at least 30 minutes before using.
- Mark Miller writes: "Ripe red tomatoes roasted on a hot steel comal until the skins blacken are a basic element of many Mexican salsas. The smoky flavor adds a complexity to the taste of ripe tomatoes.".