Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salsa is great with a great big bowl of warm tortilla chips! You can also use it on anything that you would normally use red salsa on. I love tomatillo salsa. Yum!
- 10 tomatillos
- 6 fresh serrano chilies
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Remobe husks from tomatillos and rinse.
- Place them on a baking sheet, on top rack under broiler.
- Broil about 4 minutes on one side, unrit blackened and soft, then turn and roast other side.
- Let cool on sheet.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and chiles and garlic.
- Roast chiles 5 to 10 minutes, until blackened and soft, turning occasionally.
- Roast garlic about 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool, then pull stems from chiles, and peel garlic.
- Put tomatillos, garlic, and chiles in a food processor and coarse-blend.
- Transfer to a bowl and add 1/4 cup of water to bring to"salsa consistency.
- "Stir in onion, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
I couldn't be more pleased with this great salsa. I used the general guidelines and used what I had on hand. I had to sub the serranos with 5 red jalapenos. I roasted them right along with the tomatillos and then split and seeded them. I will use three jap'nos next time as it was quite spicy. I skipped roasting the garlic. I also found that some lime juice really gave it a bright and fresh flavor. This recipe was posted almost four years ago and hasn't received a review, yet? TSK TSK.
Delicious salsa! Very hot and tasty.
Excellent recipe! Like the other reviewer, we also substituted Jalapenos for the serranos. Though we found that 2 Jalapenos was plenty hot for us. We also removed the seeds and ribs of the peppers, which the recipe doesn't specify. Save your self some time and roast the tomatillos, garlic, and peppers under the broiler all at the same time. We found that it wasn't necessary to add any water to the salsa at the end, the consistency was perfect. This salsa also freezes great! Definitely a winner!