Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve with chips or as a great sauce for fish, chicken, or shrimp. From The Chicago Tribune
- 1 lb tomatillo, husks discarded
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 500°F
- Place tomatillos, garlic, jalapenos and onion on an ungreased baking pan.
- Cook, stirring once, until vegetables are charred,. about 15 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Remove stems (but not seeds) from peppers; discard.
- Peel garlic.
- Transfer ingredients to a food processor; process until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper until well-blended.
- Salsa will keep, refrigerated, up to 4 days.
Very easy, very healthy and, most importantly, very tasty!
I have made this salsa many times. It is so easy and a crowd favourite. I double the amount of jalapenos noted because I love the heat.