Recipe by Happy Hippie
This recipe accompanies the Slow-Cooked Carnitas Tacos that I posted. This is also from the April 2008 issue of bon appetit magazine. This salsa comes together quickly and can be made two days ahead of time. As stated with the recipe, if you're pressed for time, there are several good prepared tomatillo salsas on the market. Extra salsa will keep, covered, int the refrigerator for up to a week. Mix with sour cream for a vegetable dip or add to chicken soup and garnish with strips of fried tortillas.
- 1 lb tomatillo, papery husks removed, rinsed (about 6 large)
- 1⁄2 onion, large (cut into thirds)
- 2 serrano chilies, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cilantro leaf, loosely packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- toss first 5 ingredients into an 8x8x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Roast in oven until tomatillios and onion are very soft, about 1 hour.
- Transfer contents of baking dish to food processor and add cilantro.
- Puree until almost smooth.
- Transfer salsa to bowl. Chill or serve at room temperature.