Recipe by blucoat
A healthy, vegetarian Bon Appetit recipe, originally from the book "The Skinny: How to Fit into Your Little Black Dress Forever" by Melissa Clark and Robin Aronson. The combination of mushrooms and soy sauce lends the tofu a hearty flavour.
Top Review by JungleLove
SO simple and delicious! I love how healthy this recipe is, nevermind how flavorful! We omitted the honey (decided against it) and served this with rice and ended with a wonderful vegetarian meal complete in under one hour. It can be difficult to come up with a creative and complete meal without meat and this one makes it happen with ingredients I usually have on hand... excellent! Next time I will probably use less rice vinegar. **UPDATE** We have made this many times but the best was using 4T, vinegar, 1T maple syrup, and 1T. tahini.... all while omitting the olive oil..... DELICIOUS!
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb shiitake mushrooms or 3⁄4 lb button mushroom, wiped clean and stems removed
- 1 lb firm tofu, rinsed, patted dry, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 quart baby spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, honey, ginger, and garlic. Place the mushrooms in a bowl and add enough of the marinade to evenly coat them. Toss to combine.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer in a small baking dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the tofu.
- Transfer the tofu to the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Spread the mushrooms out on one or two baking sheets and transfer to the oven. Continue roasting the tofu and the mushrooms until the tofu is nearly dry and well browned and the mushrooms are tender and golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Arrange the spinach on serving plates. Drizzle with some of the remaining marinade from the tofu pan. Divide the tofu slices among the plates and top with some of the mushrooms. Serve.