Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From All Recipes
- 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1⁄2 spaghetti squash, seeded
- 1 head garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 2⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 small red bell pepper, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- cracked black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place the butternut, acorn and spaghetti squashes cut side down on a roasting pan.
- Wrap garlic in foil, or place in a garlic roaster. Roast squash and garlic in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute the onion for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in ginger and curry powder; cook 3 more minutes.
- Stir in apples and sherry; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and set aside.
- When the squash and garlic are done squeeze half the garlic into the apple mixture.
- Process mixture for 1 minute until blended, but still slightly chunky. Return mixture to pot over medium-low heat.
- In the blender, puree small batches of squash flesh and vegetable broth. Transfer each batch to the pot with the apple mixture.
- Stir in red bell pepper, rosemary, parsley, basil, thyme, black pepper, salt and cayenne. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 30 minutes before serving add zucchini, green onions and hot water.