Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this delicious low fat soup on a weight watcher's forum years ago, it has become a favourite. We can now buy skim evaporated coconut milk, in Australia, so the coconut essence isn't necessary if you are able to find this. I don't usually add the star anise because I am not fond of the flavour of aniseed although it was in the original recipe.
- 1 whole butternut pumpkin
- 1⁄2 pumpkin, I use kent
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 -4 teaspoons chili, I use jar chilli
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch coriander
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, I use minced from a jar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (375 g) can skim evaporated milk
- 3 drops coconut essence
- Bake whole butternut pumpkin, without seeds but with skin on and cut into portions, in 180 deg C (350 deg F) oven until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Peel and seed the half Kent pumpkin and cut into small portions.
- Sauté onions, garlic and chilli in a little olive oil (or chicken stock, if you want less fat) in a large pan.
- Add chicken stock, the kent pumpkin, the spices, herbs and pepper & salt and simmer until soft - remove star anise.
- Scrape off roasted pumpkin from skin and add to other ingredients then blend all until smooth.
- Mix in skim evaporated milk and essence, more stock may be needed if soup is too thick, re-heat.
LOVE this recipe for its versatility!
Used carnation lite and creamy coconut milk instead of essence, worked for me,
Used red onion as had on hand today!
Added 1 1/2 potatoes for thickener as DH likes it that way!
Aromatic as can be!
When you want to make a quick different pumpkin soup, this is EASY as can be!