Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great recipe from the BBC which makes tofu tasty and yummy
Make and share this Roasted Teriyaki Tofu Steaks With Glazed Green Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 17 ounces fresh firm tofu, cut into 4 pieces (1 lb, 1 ounce)
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 7 1⁄4 ounces dried egg noodles
For the teriyaki marinade
- 4 1⁄2 fluid ounces dark soy sauce
- 4 1⁄2 fluid ounces mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 4 1⁄2 fluid ounces sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the glazed green vegetables
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 7 1⁄4 ounces broccoli florets
- 1 leek, white and light green parts finely sliced
- 7 1⁄4 ounces pak choi, quartered lengthways
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornflour, mixed with
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, pan-toasted
- To make the marinade, put the soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar in a large frying pan and heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the tofu and mushrooms, if using. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, turning the tofu over halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the tofu steaks to a lightly oiled baking dish or roasting tin.
- Spoon a little sauce on top and roast in a preheated oven at 220C/425F/Gas 7 for 10 minutes. Keep them warm.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms from the remaining sauce, squeeze dry and slice finely. Reserve the sauce.
- To make the glazed vegetables, heat a wok until hot, then add the oil. Add the garlic, broccoli, leek and sliced mushrooms and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add the pak choi and the fennel. Stir fry for two minutes.
- Add the reserved sauce and 2½fl oz water, stir, cover and cook for two minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the back of the wok, add the cornflour mixture to the bubbling juices and stir until thickened.
- Mix the vegetables into the sauce.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain.
- To serve, put a nest of noodles on warmed plates and pile on the vegetables.
- Turn the tofu steaks over and put shiny side up on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with spring onions and toasted sesame seeds and serve.
Tastes great! Very typical teriyaki recipe like we use here in the resturaunt. HOWEVER PEOPLE SHOULD NOTE THAT THE SAKE AND MIRIN WILL FLAMBE IF YOU AREN`T CAREFUL! WHATCH TOSE EYEBROWS PEOPLE!!