Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Change your typical mashed sweet potatoes with this colorful, easy side dish. Saigon cinnamon is the best choice for this dish but, of course, any cinnamon will work well.
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Mix 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- Add sweet potatoes and cranberries; toss to coat well.
- Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl.
- Cut in remaining 2 tablespoons butter with a fork until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in pecans.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and stir gently.
- Sprinkle with pecan topping.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes longer or until sweet potatoes are tender and topping is lightly browned.
This is a truly satisfying side dish, & one I'll make again & again, I'm sure, since I do love those sweet potatoes! Almost forgot to say that, as I usually DON'T do, I didn't peel the potatoes, because I happen to like the skins (very nutritious, too)I have to agree with you about the Saigon cinnamon, too ~ Absolutely wonderful, & since purchasing a large bottle of it early in the year, I'm definitely hooked on it & wouldn't buy another kind ever again! I also took a tip from another reviewer & used hazel nuts & will admit that they do add a nice touch to the whole thing! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Great side dish. Unususal without being ove the top. It was pretty and colorful. It would be good as a side dish any time of the year. Thanks for a great recipe!
This side dish was very good. I used only 1 large sweet potato and cut everything else in half. Served it with Chicken Francaise Chicken Francaise.